Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Dish on the Swiss

Wow. Time has completely flown by! So much has happened since I last wrote.

First, I had my first apperitivo dinner at a local cafe! Apperitivo is when you go to a restaurant at around 5:30-6 and they have a deal saying that if you buy a drink for like 6 euro, then you can eat from their array of delectable appetizers. Seriously, best deal in town. This was on Thursday night, and considering that this was my first real meal since I had made it to Florence I was in heaven haha. The hardest thing is just figuring out how they operate here, so it just took me a while until I realized how to actually buy dinner haha. But now that I've got it all figured out, there will be no more starving haha.

Other than relieving myself of hunger, I also went to Switzerland this weekend!!!! The original plan was for me to go to Prague last weekend, but since not enough people signed up for the trip it was cancelled and I had to re-schedule my dates. But seriously, that did not damper the weekend a bit! It just made it that much more exciting!

After my fabulous apperitivo dinner I left to meet Bus2alps, my travel group, at the train station. I have to say, this was a little intimidating since I didn't know a soul going on the trip, but hey, I feel like that is my new thing these days. So I got there, and right away I checked in and met this girl named Jessie. She is from Minnesota, and has this great accent haha. So it's more like Minnesooooooota haha. But we immediately hit it off and turns out she didn't know anyone either! From there we sat on the bus together and got to know each other. She is a pre-med senior who goes to some state school in Minnesota, and is here to study photography, drawing, and Italian. Doesn't that sound fun?! Throughout the 9 hour drive we chatted, watched a movie, and looked out the window to see the sparkling mountainside.

When we stopped at the gas station it was more like a mini supermarket, the ones in Europe are seriously top-notch people. They have everything from Fifty Shades of Grey to fifty flavors of cheese! Come on now Fairview station...

When we got there we immediately went inside the hostel where we got our keys and met our other roommates. Turns out that Jessie and I were rooming together along with 2 other girls and 2 other guys. Yes, guys. I know it's a little old fashioned, but I was kind of surprised haha. But after brief introductions we immediately crashed. I knew I was going to need my beauty rest if I was going to take on the Swiss alps in the morning!!

I was kind of surprised that when I was asking around there were hardly any people hitting the slopes. I met 2 guys on the bus who were skiing, and at breakfast I met 2 girls that were boarding. So while we were renting our stuff we decided we would be a little group for the day.

Now, when I say the mountains are beautiful in Switzerland, THE MOUNTAINS ARE SOOOOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL IN SWIZERLAND! Everytime I looked out the window on the way up the mountain it was like looking at a postcard. I just couldn't get over it. I took a million pictures, but they just don't capture the beauty of seeing them in real life.  Along with the magnificent surroundings, I was also surrounded with all new people.

It is so refreshing to see everyone stepping out of their comfort-zone and ready to make friends! I have met so many different people, and I've only been here a little over a week.  For the rest of the weekend I explored the town of Interlaken.  We hiked to see both lakes, we ate swiss cheese fondue, we watched a chocolatier create a chocolate cow, and we danced with random swiss people playing in street bands. Needless to say, it was a weekend I will never forget. Prost!











No comments:

Post a Comment