Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Bonjour Mademoiselle


This trip has officially started out with a bang! Right when I am checking my suitcase at the Asheville Airport I get a call from Delta telling me that my flight to Paris is cancelled due to a snowstorm!  What the what?! So the very nice people at the Delta station in Asheville re-book my flight so that I am flying into Amsterdam instead of Paris, and then from Amsterdam to Rome to Florence. Whew. But I mean, I am just ready to go, so Mom and I are like let’s just do it. 

Then with a hasty and a little teary-eyed goodbye from Mom, I am off to Atlanta!  At this point it kind of hit me that I was traveling alone.  It was a little weird, but empowering at the same time.  I mean I have traveled by myself before, but this is like international people.  This is a big deal we are talking about.  So on the flight down to ATL I sit next to a young hipster man who works at a record shop in Downtown Asheville.  We chatted about our travels, and he was going to his grandfather’s funeral up in Michigan.  Sad I know, but he said that his grandfather had Alzimers for about 10 years so it was time.  Anyway, now we are friends on Facebook haha, the true sign of friendship.

Upon arriving in Atlanta, approximately around 4:50, I had to make my way over to the international terminal, which is veryyyyy nice.  I had forgotten I was there last spring break for Jamaica, so I actually knew my way around pretty dang well.  Anyway, I found my gate for Amsterdam and found a seat next to a plug and made myself comfortable because my flight had been moved back until Midnight!  Talk about straight chillin.  Then as I am working away at downloading a new book, a girl behind me asks if I am going to Paris.  I tell her that I was before, but that my flight had been changed to Amsterdam.  Then we got to chatting and turns out that she is going to be studying yoga in India for a semester! Legit right?  Then we made the ultimate bond when she asked me if I would watch her stuff.  That is friendship people.  From then on I went to the bathroom, she went to the bathroom, and we didn’t have to lug our stuff around.  When it came around 8:30, people started saying that the Paris flight was back on, and it’s a long story, but my flights were changed back to my original route of Atlanta to Paris to Florence.  Hallelujah!  That meant my flight was leaving at 10:15 instead of 12, and I could make my way to Europe!  Sam, my new yoga studying friend, was going to be on my flight but it turned out that her flight from Paris to India was cancelled, so we had to say our goodbyes at the gate.  But now we are Facebook official too haha!

I have to say that AirFrance is probably one of my new favorite airlines just because they greet you with a “Bonjour”… not to mention the flight attendant looked like Ben Afflack.  Yes, I would like some sugar with my coffee haha.  There was a full dinner served, and it was definitely one of the better in-flight meals I have had.  Smoked salmon, brie, pasta, banana chocolate torte, finished up with coffee or tea.  Yes, I think Europe and I are going to get along just fine haha.  After dinner I brushed my teeth, got out the neck pillow and eye mask , and took a Benadryl.  Out like a light people.  I woke up with an hour to go, and watched as we descended with the falling snow.

Now I’m in romantic Paris waiting for my flight to Florence.  Hanging out in the terminal has been nothing short of boring.  The people watching here is phenomenal; I swear people are just plain cray, especially in airports.  But I have loved seeing what everyone is wearing; I think that is my favorite part. The men are all wearing scarves and leather shoes, and the women are in tall boots with huge purses decorated from head to toe.  Not only are the people great, but the food is so fancy! Espresso, quiche, pastrys, sparkling water, can it get any better?  I had a café latte and ensalada quiche for lunch, and I shared a table with the nicest man who had just arrived from Dubai.  Sadly we did not become huge pals seeing as we are not Facebook friends haha. 

Now I am just waiting to see where the rest of this adventure takes me!  …Hopefully it’s to a nice bed in Florence, but who knows what could happen.  Au revoir!
Ready for takeoff

Snow covered Paris!


Check out the bathroom in Paris!
Ze in-flight meal

First sighting of Italia!

No comments:

Post a Comment